I am a parent/caregiver supporting a child/youth
It’s hard to support a loved one who is struggling. You may have a gut feeling something is not quite right. Trying to find help can be confusing and overwhelming. Sometimes you just need someone to talk to in a safe, supportive, non-judgemental place. We serve families with young people up to their 18th birthday. You can reach us by calling 519-749-2932 press ‘1’ to speak with our staff.
You can reach us by calling 519-749-2932
or come to a walk-in session.
When should you contact us?
If you have a concern or a question – this is the place to start. We can help when:
- your child or youth is struggling with emotional, behavioural or mental health concerns,
- you would like parenting supports, information and ideas,
- you would like more information about mental health services in Waterloo Region, or
- you do not know where else to turn.
Some things we can help you and your child/youth with include:
- Behavioral concerns at home and/or school
- Difficulties managing feelings
- Thinking about suicide or self-harm
- Relationship difficulties (friends, family)
- Struggling to ‘bounce back’ from difficult experiences
- Questioning their gender identity
- Finding information about a recent mental health diagnosis
- General concern for mental wellness
When you come to Front Door,
- Listen to your situation, concerns and needs without judgement
- Ask questions to make sure we understand
- Provide support, guidance and encouragement
- Work with you to develop a plan for moving forward, and
- Provide information on services in the community and can make referrals to more intensive mental health treatment services.
What you can do to prepare for your first visit:
To help you prepare, you can fill out our Client Information Form and give us a printed version on your arrival. If you choose to fill it out ahead of time and have any questions, please contact us or just fill out what you can and bring the form with you. Again, you do not have to fill out the form; we can do it with you when you arrive if you prefer.
"I walked away with many practical strategies and now I can parent my child more effectively. This was a very helpful first step in what will be an ongoing situation, but I feel my child is on the way to getting the help/services he needs. Thank you so much! " Parent