I am a parent/caregiver supporting a child/youth
It’s hard to support a loved one who is struggling. You may have a gut feeling something is not quite right. Trying to find help can be confusing and overwhelming. Sometimes you just need someone to talk to in a safe, supportive, non-judgemental place. We serve families with young people up to their 18th birthday. You can reach us by calling 519-749-2932 to speak with our staff.
When should you contact us?
If you have a concern or a question – this is the place to start. We can help when:
- your child or youth is struggling with emotional, behavioural or mental health concerns,
- you would like parenting supports, information and ideas,
- you would like more information about mental health services in Waterloo Region, or
- you do not know where else to turn.
Some things we can help you and your child/youth with include:
- Behavioral concerns at home and/or school
- Difficulties managing feelings
- Thinking about suicide or self-harm
- Relationship difficulties (friends, family)
- Struggling to ‘bounce back’ from difficult experiences
- Questioning their gender identity
- Finding information about a recent mental health diagnosis
- General concern for mental wellness
When you come to Front Door,
- Listen to your situation, concerns and needs without judgement
- Ask questions to make sure we understand
- Provide support, guidance and encouragement
- Work with you to develop a plan for moving forward, and
- Provide information on services in the community and can make referrals to more intensive mental health treatment services.
"I walked away with many practical strategies and now I can parent my child more effectively. This was a very helpful first step in what will be an ongoing situation, but I feel my child is on the way to getting the help/services he needs. Thank you so much! " Parent